We are jumping on the Premier League (2011-2012) season preview bandwagon in our own special way…
Well ok… bit of a lie, we are not really. But this podcast does cover all the teams that are in the Premier League (the toppermost !) this coming season (2011-2012). All the tracks featured are – as far as possible – old tunes. There are a few exceptions which I’ll explain below, but for the most these are songs sung by the teams themselves. Brace yourself.
The songs are in (club) alphabetical order and a few notes about them:
- The first track (after the theme) starts with an unknown Arsenal player commenting about the Gunners being branded as boring. Can you name this player ?
- Despite their being a large number of Lancashire teams playing in the Premier League there is a severe shortage of music associated with them. And when I say severe I actually mean zero. With the Wigan track I used something previously posted which was more about Wigan Casino rather than the club.
The link was with the song they produced which included a recording of a crowd at a Wigan match.
- As mentioned most of these were randomly selected and there are a few FA Cup tracks added which in our opinion, are far worse than the club songs. Once again – you have been warned.
- [Match Of The Day opening titles]
- Arsenal (1971) Team – Good Old Arsenal
- (Aston Villa) Dave Ismay and the Holte End – We’re The Holte End
- (Blackburn) Unknown artist – Wild Rover
- (Bolton) Johnny Boy feat Dave Higson – Super White Dreams
- Chelsea 1994 FA Cup Squad – No One Can Stop Us Now
- Everton 1984 FA Cup Squad – The Boys In Blue
- (Fulham) Haynes Boys – One F In Fulham
- Liverpool 1976-77 Squad – We Can Do It
- (Man City) Harmony Blend – Blue City (Paloma Blanca)
- (Man Utd) The Dollies -Rah Rah Rah For Manchester United
- Newcastle United and Bobby Webber – United Newcastle United
- (Norwich) Gary Kennon – The Canary Rock’n’Roll
- (QPR) Mark Lazarus With Queens Park Rangers FC and Supporters – QPR The Greatest
- (Stoke) The Potters – We’ll Be With You
- Sunderland F.A. Cup Final Squad 1992 – Aint No Stopping Us Now
- (Swansea) Unknown artist – Swansea City FC
- (Spurs) The Totnamites – Tip Top Tottenham Hotspur
- (West Brom) Ray King – Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh
- Wigan’s Chosen Few – Footsee
- Wolves 1967 Team – Hungry Wolves
- [Frank Sidebottom – Guess Who’s Been On Match Of The Day (Short)]
[pod is 55 mins/File size is 50.3MB]
A repost of one of my favourites – a calypso originally done in the 1950’s which names all the teams playing back then:
» Edmundo Ros – Exotic Football Calypso of 1953