Since all those talky podcasts are starting up again this is the last F&M pod for now.
Showing some love to our Gallic cousins across the water with some French football and music…
In 1998 the Gauls were kings on the world. But that was thirteen years ago. Patrick Viera, the last member of that team hung up his boots at the end of last season.
A new generation has emerged but as we witness in the 2010 World Cup, they can’t seem to play as a team. They have great individual talent and many of them are key members of top teams all over Europe, but whether they can achieve the heights they scaled in ’98 and Euro 2000 is uncertain. After their very public meltdown it is going to take some time for Lauren Blanc and co to rebuild confidence – and reputation of their national team.
What about the French football league ? There are many teams we are all familiar with.. Lyon, Marseilles, Paris Saint-Germain… but for some reason this league and those teams don’t get as much attention (in my perception anyway) as the Spanish and Italian leagues get. I’ve checked and neither $ky or ESPN UK have the broadcast rights to Ligue 1. A terrible transgression.
As I’ve mentioned this edition of the F&M podcasts is showing some love to French football with featured music from Ligue 1 teams and excepts from they previous World Cup campaigns too. So sit back and enjoy… FootieAndMusic Podcast – French France:
- Denise Fabre – Ollé la France (1982)
- Cataline – Allez Nancy (AS Nancy)
- Les Supporters – les Sang et Or (Lens)
- Basile Boli & Chris Waddle – We’ve Got A Feeling
- Les Emilios – Sang et Or public en Nord (Lens)
- Le Petit Rocheteau – La Fête à Saint Etienne
- Roland & Larqué – Tout à Fait Thierry
- Antoine – Le Match de Football (AC Ajaccio)
- Unknown – Si Tu Veux Voir du Football (Lens)
- Sarr Boubacar – La béguine à Bouba (The nun in Boub)
- Virginie Schaeffer – Le virage du Krimmeri (Strasbourg)
- Les Seniors – Victoria…Victoria Pour L’Equipe De France (1982)
- French commentary of Platini goal in 1986 World Cup
- Viva Les Bleus – Viva Les Bleus (Mexico 86)
- Jean Michel Jarre/Apollo Four Forty – Rendez-Vous 98
- [Audio] Commentary from the 1998 World Cup Final
- Johnny Hallyday – Tous Ensemble (1998)
- [Audio] English commentary of Zidane’s penalty at 2002 WC Final
- [Audio] Italian commentary of Materazzi goal at 2002 WC Final
- [Audio] French commentary of Zidane’s headbutt on Materazzi at 2002 WC Final
- Cauet – Zidane y va Marquet
- La Plage – Coup de Boule
- Fait Main – Thierry Henry 100%
It is great thanks to our Football and Music Consultant* Fredorarrci who pointed me to this French football and music website over a year ago, but it’s taken me until now to finally do something.
*I've given you a title now but I'm not paying for your services.
Austerity measures and all that. Go and have a riot about it. See if I care.
The majority of songs featured in this edition of the pod were randomly selected from a collection freely available via the following url’s and I encourage you to explore further:
- There is one more that Fredorarrci recommended a listen but I didn’t manage to include in the above pod. It’s from the former goalkeeper Joël Bats, who is now the goalkeeping coach at Lyon.
In his attempt at singing he didn’t do something about football, nah that’s too obvious. He did it about a snail:
…and lucky for us there’s a live performance too:
“On turf, we slide
Caressed by the evening breeze
By the horns, we stand
Light heart, full of hope”
Couldn’t have put it better myself.